After his dad’s stroke, Mark has taken on assisting with basic daily errands, and being the “go to” for medical appointments. He has felt overwhelmed and doesn’t know where to turn to find resources for both him and his father. The AAAPP can help – find out how.
Caring for a loved one is an extremely rewarding experience, but can also be a very difficult one without help. See below for some caregiver basics.
Start Here! Caregiving 101
Choosing a Residential Health Care Facility for your Loved One
Making the decision to transition a loved one into residential care is a difficult one. Luckily, there are resources available to help you ensure you are getting the best care available for your loved one. Several tips below can help:
- Visit http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/ and click on “facility locator” to see a listing of all facilities in your area, as well as any potential sanctions or fines they have incurred.
- When visiting and touring a facility always ask:
- To see the AHCA inspection report.
- How many residents does each nurse and nurse’s aid care for during each shift?
- What do they do about medical services and special therapies?
- What transportation arrangements for residents are available?
- What special training does the staff have?
- What are the policies regarding deposits, refunds, and bed holds?
- How much advance notice is provided before increasing charges?
- How are personal possessions safeguarded?
- What activities are available? (Ask to see calendar.)
- What are the designated visiting hours, and are exceptions allowed?
- Does the nursing home have a program to limit the use of physical restraints?
Missed the live stream of Caregiver Connect? Check out the archived videos here!
Stress Management & Coping for Caregivers
Caregiving Sustainably: Looking at the Long Term
Reach out to Empath Health and Suncoast Hospice
Request printed materials by contacting Kelly Siegel at KellySiegel@empathhealth.org or 727-735-8743.
Making Informed Decisions for your Health care
Practical Tips from Other Caregivers
Can Suncoast Hospice Help?
Caregiver Coffee Break Schedule (web-site)
Integrated Network of Care (web-site)
Disaster Preparedness Materials referenced:
AAAPP Listing of regional and state disaster prep resources
Pinellas County Emergency Management – Special Needs Registration and Hurricane Guide
Pasco County Emergency Management – Special Needs Registration and Hurricane Guide
Communication Techniques for Dementia Caregivers