Disaster Resources: Preparation and Recovery
As Pinellas and Pasco prepare for the Hurricane Season, there is concern for:
* the seniors, (especially those living in manufactured homes) who do not have an evacuation plan
* those who need assistance to evacuate who have not registered with the Special Needs Registry.
The time to plan is before the storm arrives! Click on the links below for more information on resources for disaster preparation and recovery.
- Local Resources for Pasco and Pinellas Counties
- Disaster Preparedness For Those With Special Needs
- Pet Safety
- Protect Yourself from Heat Stress
- FEMA Website
The Department of Elder Affairs annually publishes one edition of the “Elder Update” as a Disaster Preparedness Guide for Seniors. For this document go to:
FEMA has prepared a special page on their website http://www.ready.gov/hurricanes to help citizens prepare for the season. It is available in eleven languages.
In July of 2008 FEMA also issued a guide called Help After a Disaster that describes FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) requirements, documentation, and processes. Click here for the pdf file. It contains useful program information about IHP, but according to FEMA, “For disaster-specific questions, it is always best to visit our website at www.fema.gov or contact the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the hearing impaired).”
Disaster Preparation Strategies-Older Adults
Identifying Vulnerable Older Adults and Legal Options for Increasing Their Protection During All-Hazards Emergencies
Planning Tips Older Adults
Prescription Med Refill Flyer